Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Early week update

   We had three different crews working simultaneously on the site today; the copper roofers, trim carpenters, and geothermal well diggers.  I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a look and was greeted with no less than nine cars, two vans, a trailer, and three large trucks filling the driveway.  I had to park on the street and walk in because there wasn't any parking space left.  I guess I know what our parking capacity is for parties.  Of course, Mike was on the site orchestrating everything and helping where he could.  He pulled in just after me, finishing a diesel run for the sky trac.  I managed to get a couple pictures of the well drilling operation so here they are.

    Here's the well drilling operation.  You can see the well drilling truck with the vertical red drilling boom.  There's a blue water tanker truck in front of it.  I guess they need potable water for the drilling process.  There's one more white tanker truck on the right, but I'm not sure what that's for.  They're drilling six wells, each about 140 ft deep.  I don't know very much about the drilling process, but it looks like they were injecting some kind of concrete slurry mixture into the holes.  I think it's to prevent the wells from collapsing before they put in the liner.  The white trailer belongs to the carpenters.

    Here's another angle of the action.  You can get a better view of the white tanker truck.  I wonder if it's the pumper truck for the water since I don't see any pumps on the blue tanker truck.  While I was there, I didn't see them removing any of the white PVC pipes from the blue tanker truck so I'm not sure what those are for.  Mike said the well drillers were seeing sand and gravel come up so that's good for drainage.  When we initially dug down to see the water table height, we found water at 11 feet, but we're higher now so they probably hit water at 15 feet.  Even though our geothermal system is a closed loop system, a higher water table is good for thermal diffusion.

   Here's a closer look at the water tanker.  Lots of PVC pipe, some bags that look like concrete in front of the tank, but no pumping equipment so maybe I was right in thinking that other white truck was a pumper truck.

   Here's a short video of the drilling in action.  Nothing to exciting but I could probably spend all day sitting on the porch roof, watching them work.  So much activity on the job site now and it's fantastic.
The carpenters were installing all the house and window trim and the copper roofers were installing the roof, but I'll save that for the next update when they'll both probably be completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment