Monday, March 7, 2016

Small truss update

   It doesn't look like a ton of work was done between the mid-week update and this weekend.  I'm not sure what I expected, but I was told that they were hoping to finish the garage by the weekend, but I guess it was contingent upon a steady stream of supplies.  I'm guessing that supply wasn't as steady as they wanted because I didn't see any new trusses on site.  There were two laminated beams at the front of the property.  I didn't measure them, but they were about 2 inches thick each and 14 inches tall.
   I think I remember Matt saying that the two laminated beams were needed to carry the weight of the trusses in the garage.  There aren't any beam pockets that go the depth of the garage and I don't think these beams are long enough to traverse the length of the garage so I'm not sure where these would go.  Since their arrival delayed the construction, they seem to matter to the construction of the two-bay garage portion.  I guess time will tell.

   At first I thought this strong tie was already attached to the beam, but I don't see any nails.  Not sure why it was sitting on it, but it's obviously not deep enough for the beams.  It looks more like a 2x4 strong tie.

   They added some wood above the garage door beam to equalize the height across the beam.  It might look like the top of the wall is a different height across the single door bay, but it's an optical illusion.  This needed to be built up so the trusses can ride on top of this.

   Here's a shot of the trusses from inside the garage.  As you can see, the trusses run from the front of the garage to the back so any supporting beams need to run perpendicular to this.  There's no really great way for a beam to run across the garage and this beam isn't long enough to span.  I guess it's possible to join them somehow, but the beam loses its strength that way unless there's a post to support the joint.  There's no way to put a post in right now since the floor isn't poured and there's no footing to support it.  Plus a post in the middle of a garage would look stupid.

   So here's an interesting thing.  When they set up the the sole plates for the garage entry interior walls, I noticed that the corners weren't landing where they were supposed to.  After the mid-week meeting, we determined that the location of the door to the garage was off  by six inches.  This moved one of the walls to the right of it that shares the bathroom.  Because this was moved half a foot, it reduced the depth of the alcove we need to hold the bench locker.  It also threw off the butler pantry walls and shortened the length of the wall that the fridge/freezer columns will go on.  The only way to remedy this is to cut the concrete of the door on the left, and buck out the door opening on the right with wood.  I'll have to take some time to measure off all the other openings to make sure it's to spec.

   There's a warm up coming this week, so I'm hoping work will accelerate.  It always seems like there's something that holds up the process though, so lots of progress will be a welcomed surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment