Saturday, February 20, 2016

Truss delivery

   The truss delivery took place this week and I had an uncharacteristically warm day to visit the build site.  The temperature was in the low 60s and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  While all the snow melted, it also softened any disturbed ground so it was a muddy boot day.  The weather is supposed to cool back down again later in the week so maybe the ground will harden up again in time for work to begin again.

   Here's the first stack of trusses I encountered coming onto the property.  It's at the first curve of the driveway off the street and it has some of the longer pieces.  I guess they're stashing it here until they can find more room for it at the house or until they need it.  When we first talked about the storage space requirements of the trusses, Matt told me that they'll probably need to use the crane to lift the trusses over the garage to stash them in the back yard.  I guess they still might have to, but here they are for now.

    Another angle of the first truss stack.  They're all labeled 915 and each one has a small tag on it with a descriptor of the roof pitch.  Even still, I can't really make heads or tails of now it will go together.  I know which roof pitches are where as per the elevation documents, but I couldn't tell you where these are supposed to go.

    Here's the second stack of trusses, about halfway up the driveway.  I did drive back with my RAV4 this time and didn't have any trouble slipping.  The driveway is soft for an inch or two deep, then I think it's undisturbed ground underneath. 
   Again, I can't make heads or tails of where these will be used, but you can see some larger peaks. It's all made from 2x4 pine, connected with those nail plates.  It's hard to believe that these will hold up the weight of the roof decking and roofing tile.  Modern wood engineering at its best.

    Same pile from a different angle.  They seem pretty flexible on their own, so it will be interesting to see how they hoist then into the air and secure them to the top of the ICF wall.  I'm pretty sure there needs to be some kind of wooden sill plate or header bolted to the top of the wall, then these will be attached with strong ties or something.  Can't wait to see the progress.

    Same pile from the other side.  Not sure where these are going, but at least you can make out the overhang.  Maybe the garage?  It doesn't seem like there's enough in these piles, but Matt did say that they were expecting two flatbeds worth of trusses.  This would take up two flatbeds.  Trusses are spaced larger than floor joists so I guess it's possible they're all here.

    These are by far the longest pieces and there are only three or four of them so I'm guessing these will make up the spine of the roof.  Probably have a peak that installs on top of it or something.  Trusses are weird.

    So I didn't get great shots of the retaining walls since they were covered in snow.  Now that it's a week later and two times the temperature I can take some more detailed shots.  Here's the boulder retaining wall on the right of the driveway/motor coach.  It goes from two courses to five as you get closer to the house.  The height is probably three feet at the lowest and eight feet at the concrete wall.

   Here's where the boulder wall meets the concrete wall.  It's a nice climb up the boulders and I imagine the twins will have fun doing a few years from now.  As I said before, we'll have to come up with a creative way to gradually transition from the large boulders to the smaller granite cobbles that will cover the concrete wall.  I don't think I've ever seen a large stone boulder veneer so I'm not sure how we're gong to make that happen.  

    And here's the top of the caramel mint retaining wall.  Geoff of Great Oaks said that there's still some finishing work to be completed here.  I have to get more details, but I'm hoping they'll fill the voids with smaller rocks to make a clean edge on the inside.  This should be the final grade so dirt/planting bed will be flush with the top of the stone.
  Looking down the steps.  Geoff confirmed that the stones here will need to be shaped for the stairway.  The top step on the first run of stairs is slightly proud of the ground between the steps.  I'm not sure if we'll fill it with another stone or if crushed stone will be used.  

    I went up stairs to check out the condition of the second floor. I haven't been up there in a few months because of the ice danger so it was nice to be up there again and dream about the layout.  Here's a shot of the wall from the edge of the turret.  You can see how the top course needs to be finished so it has a single edge.  I didn't dare go closer to get a shot of more wall.  

    I did take pictures from the second bedroom window though.  It's unfortunate that this view will be blocked by the wrap around porch when it's finally installed.  You can see all the extra stone that will either be used or taken away.  Or maybe we'll keep it on site for the walls in the back yard (future phases).

    Just a shot of the rotunda from upstairs.  The 2x4 material is just a support structure for the second floor concrete forms.  It gave the form something to brace against.  The rusty curved I-beam will be removed and the stairs will go up from the first floor from right to left.  The removal of the I-beam will give the rotunda a more open feel, but it was necessary to create and support the pour of the second floor.

   Wide shot of the wall and the house on this beautiful day.  Hopefully next time I update this site, you'll see some trusses up there too.

   This week, we'll be meeting with Margaret at a tile store to look at some more selection.  While we have almost everything figured out, there's still some tile to select.  Something for the wetside of the shower wall in the master bathroom.  Also we'll be looking at something else for the kitchen island counter top.  Tanja decided that the initial material was a little too blotchy looking and wanted a cleaner look.  Something solid surface white with some sparkle, but little to no aggregate.  I probably haven't posted our material selections yet, so if I have time this week, I'll provide a mid-week post for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment